Saturday, October 21, 2006

Government Decision Article

1) I see the controversy being money versus safety. It is mentioned a number of times about the costs that would be saved by switching to a four-way stop. The reporter does obtain a quote from a principal, but I would have found someone concerned about the change.

2) Tom Holtan, Sheboygan public works director and city engineer, Silas VanderWeele, chairman of the Public Protection and Safety Committee, Lee Benish, Sheboygan South High School principal and Amy Kirchenwitz, secretary, are incorporated into this article. However, VanderWeele and Hotan are the key players. The article had nobody representing the opposing views.

3) I liked the reporter’s decision to contact the principal and secretary. I do not know if the principal had any influence on the decision, but these two sources do encounter the intersection everyday. I would like to contact the average person in my reporting as well.

4) I have mentioned it already, but I am sure someone is opposed to having only stop signs during the period in which school children used to have stop lights to help them cross the street.

No comments: