Monday, May 02, 2005

"Other " Article

I read the article "The Minority Quarterback". The insight that I realized in the beginning of the article is the amount of prejudece between whites and black. I am part of the "minority"( meaning white, epecially in Wisconsin) I am not exposed to persecution whether it be between blacks or whites. Where I grew up there were no blacks and once I left my hometown and met blacks and became friends with them, it never really effected me. This article makes me wonder if my presence effected them. Also, my friend and I were recently talking about the South and how prejudece is so prevelent there, even today. Black history to me is apart of American history.

The most memorable detail that I took from the article was Mo Morgan's son, Jahari, who was so innocent to the fact that a white quaterback was on the football team. His father, in my mind who is bitter, seemed to be little his son because he didn't get worked up about Jacoby. It was like his father, a supposedly intelligent man, was trying to coax his son into discriminating against white people.

An interesting story that I found was when Jacoby quit the team and later returned to see the starting quarterback get pulled in the homecoming game. Jacoby had realized that he was not benched to please the crowd, but because of his poor performance. Jacoby started off the story a hero and ended up a quitter. Not the fact that he quit a football team, just that he let the very thing that kept him strong hurt him. But I couldn't imagine the intense pressure he and the millions of black Americans face when they are placed in a situation where they are the clear minority.

I thought the reporter did a great job portraying Jacoby. It is very unlikey you hear of a white person being racially prosecuted and playing the part of the minority. It was great reporting how they showed the very courageous yet sometimes bitter side of the quarterback. The position also makes a great story because the quarterback calls the plays on the field. He is in some regard the leader or caption. You have to trust you leader, which many players did not. The lack of self-confidence led to the dismantling of Jacoby's team and his position. Story proves that even "pride" can be over-rated.

No comments: