Tuesday, May 03, 2005

other rough draft

I can't meet with the other two black people I'm using for my assignment until tomorrow.

Daniel Gostas-Sims, a 21-year-old senior at UW-Oshkosh, said he would feel like a minority on any UW campus.

Sims is a milato (don't know what to use for half black, half white), who grew up in Milwaukee with his mother until she died of breast cancer when he was 10.

He later moved to Sun Prairie to live with his dad, stepmom and stepbrother, and two years ago moved to Castaic, Calif.

Sims said his stepbrother is still a "gangbanger" at the age of 33.

Sims said it was hard growing up in an all white town, where he attended private schools all of his life before coming to UW-Oshkosh.

"It was hard when I was a kid being around all white people," Sims said.

He said he loved putting bandages on his hand, and when he took them off his skin would look white.

"What I would do was ask my mom to bandage up my whole body so I could look like a white person," Sims said. "Now I associate with more black people that I do white."

Sims said he been around white people all his life, so he's use to being the minority.

He said he doesn't feel like there's enough cultural things availabe on the Oshkosh's campus, and if there was he would definitely take advantage of them.

"They're trying to close down the multiculture center. That's the last place a nigger can go," Sims said.

Although Sims isn't bothered by being on a campus of mostly white people, he is bothered by attending classes, where he is the only black person.

"I don't like being in all white classes," Sims said. "Can we get some diversity so I can have someone I can relate to. There's been times when I fell singled out and wanted to get up and walk out of class."

No comments: