Monday, May 02, 2005

Other assignment

At a Slaughterhouse,
Some Things Never Die

I have worked in a foundry before, so I can relate the mind-numbing work that is involved. However, I was unaware the amount of money that is paid to the pork factory workers was so little. The amount of segregation, discrimination, and turnover was appalling.

The most memorable detail is the way that the pigs are slaughtered and the blank faces on the workers as they do this.

I thought the anecdote about Billy Harwood was interesting and sad, how his expectations kind of fell through the roof and the way that he was treated by his new supervisor.

I thought that the reporter was successful in bringing a new situation about an old topic of racism and segregation into view. By the sound of it, the reporter went undercover and was able to get the necessary information that was needed to write the article. I don’t feel however, that there was new insight. I think that there was just added insight.

No comments: