Monday, November 20, 2006

Profile (Black Pearl)

The article I found for a profile was on Sacha Baron Cohen. (He's the actor playing Borat in the current popular movie).

Though a lot of media spotlight is on this man, I thought the following quote really brought out a new side of the ever-daring and shameless actor:

"I remember, when I was in university I studied history, and there was this one major historian of the Third Reich, Ian Kershaw. And his quote was, 'The path to Auschwitz was paved with indifference.' I know it's not very funny being a comedian talking about the Holocaust, but I think it's an interesting idea that not everyone in Germany had to be a raving anti-Semite. They just had to be apathetic."

The subsequent observation by the writer also shed new light on the man:

Baron Cohen doesn't make this grand statement with confidence. He makes it shyly, as if he's speaking out of turn. It's interesting to watch Baron Cohen get bashful, because it is the exact opposite of the characters he portrays.

I felt, overall, that this was one of the most intersting things to see, read or here about Sacha since his movie came out. He seems to be so silly and foolish, yet this article and quote really showed a more intelligent, calculating persona. It made me appreciate that he had a method to his comedy and actually was serving to prove things about racism instead of just using it for a cheap laugh. The part about him being shy was also a black pearl because no one who saw his movie or live interviews would ever, ever get that impression. The article did a great job of showing just how little people really know about a man who is seemingly everywhere in the media.

I mean, I guess it shows a more human side to the reader, kind of like the "man inside the clown outfit" type of information.

The writer did a good job of informating people about the movie and Sacha's thoughts about the movie. This catored to the broad public interest. However, he also did a good job of shedding light and going deeper into who Sacha really was. The writer did this by inserting deeper tidbits inbetween summaries about the movies and explanations of outside events. It didn't seem like the writer pressed any issues either. He more or less allowed Sacha to naturally and aimlessly tell his story and reveal things without being pressured.

These are things I hope I can duplicate in my story.

For my profile article that I'm going to write, it will be on Michael Lawerence, he's a friend of mine who is also a student here (same age) and a community advisor on campus. He is a black student from Milwaukee, WI.
Facebook: Yes
Myspace: No
NoBlogger: No
Google: Yes, Advance Titan article
Google Images: No
Youtube: No
CCAP: No

No comments: