Sunday, November 19, 2006

Profile example

1. I read the story "Size Matters" by L. Jon Wertheim in the Oct.9, 2006 issue of Sports Illustrated. It is about boxer Nikolay Valuev, and covers him leading up to his title fight that weekend.

2. The incident in his life which I feel is a black peral is how he "stumbled" his way into boxing. He wasn't a natural athlete and was uncoordianted, but his basketball coach's wife saw the size of him and asked him to lace up some boxing gloves and give the sport a try. He had never thought of boxing before and said he had never even punched anybody in his life. By meeting his coach's wife he got a start in his succesful career as a professional boxer.

3. I think the reporter came across the story semi-easily. He just had to ask a few questions about his childhood, what sports he was involved in and how he got his start in boxing. Valuev then, most likely, revealed to him how and when he had gotten his start as a boxer.

4. I am going to write my article on my boss at ESPN Radio Milwaukee, Linda Ting.

5. I can check where she lives, if she has any legal history like lawsuits or criminal offenses. I added her as my facebook friend, and I will be able to learn more things about her personal life when she adds me as her facebook friend. She does not have a myspace anymore because she thought it got too creepy. I found out some information about her job and how long she has worked as promotions director at ESPN Milwaukee. I am sure with some more research, I will be able to find more information about her.

No comments: