Sunday, September 10, 2006

Published Weather Example from Russ Plummer

When I originally read the title I thought the article would be uplifting. However, the majority of the article was filled with statistics about the amount of destruction. The lead was solid and informative and the use of the quote was good towards the beginning.

However, the article contains way too much information. The article covers fires within four states and has statistics all over the place. After casually reading it, I do not remember any of the stats. I would have broken the story apart and just focused on the good news in Nevada. I would have sought out more quotes from officials. I would have also gotten quotes from families who have lost their homes and those families who homes are going to be saved by the efforts of the firefighters.

I understand the goal of the article was to shock the reader by informing them about the mass destruction in America, but I think the average reader would become bored with all of the numbers.
Since it is an internet news source, the article could be divided up and the reader could read about a state or location that may affect them.

No comments: