Wednesday, September 13, 2006

UW-Oshkosh Feelings about Weather

UW-Oshkosh students were enjoying the sun and took their studies outside on the morning of Friday Sept. 8, however, those students now are combating a cold and dreary Mother Nature.

Junior Sadie Offenstein, 21, and her roommate, senior Megan McCube, 21, were among the 26 students sitting outside of Halsey Science Center on Friday. Both wearing tank tops and shorts while reading their own respective textbooks.

“I love being outside so it is really nice to be able to study outside,” Offenstein said. “So much of the year it is cold and you can not be outside, but I do not like the bees.”

Offenstein’s roommate also enjoyed the weather, but thinks pleasing weather conditions can be a little distracting.

“I find it distracting to be outside, because in your dorm room you are either by yourself or with your roommate.” McCube said. “Outside you can see a whole bunch of people you know. I am a senior and I have a bunch of friends on campus who distract me. I have been sitting here for 20 minutes and I have done nothing.”

Friday afternoon brought with it gustier winds, cooler air and rain. Oshkosh students had to put away their summer wear and adorn warmer clothing and numerous umbrellas could be seen at anytime outside on campus.

The lower temperatures and rainy conditions continued through the weekend. Students returned to class on Monday with another day of cloudy conditions and scattered rain.

Monday evening at Reeve Memorial Union, students expressed their opinions about the sudden change in weather and the current 58 degree Fahrenheit forecast.

“I usually study in my dorm,” senior Amanda Emery, 21, said. “I do not study outside, so it is not affecting me at all.”

“I do not really study outside either, but when it is raining so hard and you get wet it is really hard to concentrate in class when you are soaked for four hours,” senior Rachel Scott, 21, said.

“When it is nice outside, I do stuff outside and never study,” sophomore Tom Holyoke, 20, said. “When it is not nice out I study.”

Student morale may rise soon with a predicted forecast of the next six days being partly to mostly cloudy with temperatures in the low to upper 70s.

No comments: