Monday, September 11, 2006

X-Ray reading

1.. James Horner is an Academy Award winning composer who has written scores and songs for more than 100 movies, including "titanic" -- one of the best selling soundtracks in history.
2 Feature
3. yes, this isn't a hard hitting news story, it is simply a feature on a composer who was hired to write theme music for a television show.
5. I think the hook is the fact that he is a very accomplished composer for movie soundtracks and that we have probably heard some of his work before. I liked the use of Titanic as an example as most of us have seen the movie, which will draw us into reading the article to learn more about the man and what he has done.
6. a.) Horner is an accomplished composer
b.) He is tackling one of his most challenging jobs to date, with the CBS Evening News show
c.) CBS is trying to seperate themselves from the field by having a different sounding introduction
d.) CBS is hoping their new image, with help from Katie Couric and new theme songs, will inspire a new, younger audience.
e.) The process of how Horner was selected and decided to take a job
f.) The article shows Horner was on the right track with his first rough draft cd, when Couric and CBS execs said "we love it."
g.) The project was a success.
7. CBS like the finished product so much that it asked Mr. Beckerman to weave it into news programming acrosss the network. "I'm just thankful that CBS really meant it when they said they wanted me to break the mold," Mr. Horner says. "Mst often when people say that, they hear it and then say 'Um, we didn't mean that broken."
8. The ending doesn't close the story, in fact it leaves it very much open. I think it leaves the door open for more of television news and other related elements of news to be reinvented and revitalized. The quote of Horner breaking the mold left a good lasting impression on me, I think it fit perfectly with what the writer was trying to get across throughout the story.
9. "katie told me she wanted something that reminded her of wheat fields blowing rather than Manhattan skyline." After reading that quote you can almost hear the music that CBS had envisioned.
10. I don't think there are any quotes that I think could have been paraphrased, except maybe the aforementioned quote. I like it and it gives me a good picture of what they were trying to get at, but I guess it could be paraphrased. However, I wouldn't change any of the quotes.
11. The most visual detail is the quoe from #9.
12.

No comments: