Sunday, September 24, 2006

Russ' Obit Example

I thought this was a well written obituary. It shows the importance of this man's life, but I think it left out major parts. Here are five things I found as key components in the obituary.

1. The intense dedication James F. Lawrence had towards his country and the Marines is evident in the article. The obituary contains much detail of achievements made within his many years serving.

2. My favorite part by far is this excerpt because it is detailed and very interesting. The reader gets a feeling of how brave this man was.

Outnumbered 10 to one, the Marines fought one of the most heroic battles in U.S. military history. In temperatures of 25 degrees below zero, the Marines climbed sheer rock faces and sustained horrific casualties as they repelled the Chinese attack.

Gen. Lawrence's commanding officer cracked under battlefield pressure and was relieved of his duties. The deputy commander was severely wounded, leaving Gen. Lawrence, then a major, to lead the battalion. After five days of fierce fighting, he and his unit were able to punch through enemy lines and make their way to safety. Survivors of the battle became known as the "Chosin Few."

3. I noticed the article follows a similar structure compared to the two we read in class. The format seems to work well in telling this man's story.

4. Even though much of his life involved defending his country, I would have liked to learn more about his family life. Towards the end there is mention of raising three grandchildren in his home. I would like to know more about that.

5. I would have liked to learn more about his upbringing. I want to know if the military was part of his childhood and why he chose to make it his life.

No comments: