Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Future Developement-conflicting interests

I plan on writing my story on the future development in Oshkosh. As of now, my story will encapsulate the future developements of the roads, riverfront and downtown area. If this does not work out for me, I will limit my scope and focus on one area of development. William Castle supports the current pace of the city's development, but Paul Esslinger says the current pace is inadequate and there are other areas that need more attention. Castle wants to continue the growth of Oshkosh, especially on the west side of the city. He states that he wants to connect Highway 21 to Highway 26, but goes on to say that he does not want to build new roads that will have to be ripped up in a couple of years for sewer and water lines. Esslinger feels that Oshkosh is currently focusing too much on "luxury" items and not paying attention to what is really needed here. He thinks the current pace of road repairs is not adequate because the city is focusing on these luxury items. Esslinger stated that progress equals debt, and the city needs to rid themselves of this debt before further development is instituted.

No comments: