Sunday, February 13, 2005

Class prep Feb. 14

If I were offered the job to leave the obit desk and work on the police beat, I would accept the new position. My main reason for leaving the obit desk is the fact that I don't like writing only stories about non-living individuals. I think the job on the obit desk is too dry for me. I would like the police beat job because it would be more exciting. In the chapter, a police beat reporter has to gather facts by making phone calls and personal interviews to obtain information. I would like to be the guy who has to gather the information and find out what is going on in the streets. It would be fun to be in the people's hair by questioning them, instead of writing obits. It would seem like detective work, something I would love to do.

The part of the police beat job I may not like would be having to see the people injured or suffering.(i.e. a car crash with hurt people or a child abuse case)Like may people watching people suffer is a tough thing for me to bear. I would feel very low if I had to question someone that just lost a loved one.

No comments: