Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Dorothy Stang-nun shot by hitmen.

So I scour the internet in search of a good crime article to review and alas,I come across several choppy postings of crime articles with the byline of 'AP'. They are not very well written and I assume that they are edited to fit space on whatever newspaper's website.

In lieu of being dissatisfied by several Milwaukee Journal Sentinel articles, I decide to
out the Los Angeles Times website because I know they win a lot of awards for photography and I assume their writing must be decent also.

I come across an article about Dorothy Stang, a nun that was slain in the Brazil .While reading the article I instantly realize that this article is a little different. Reporter Henry Chu doesn't just report about how this woman was killed, but he also relates the story behind her death, a very important piece to the story.

Dorothy Stand was a nun who lived in the Amazon rainforest and opposed logging in the region. She was a beloved figure amongst poorer residents of the area and advocated that they stand up against business interests that "threatened to destroy their livelihood".Unfortunately, she also lived in a region that saw a lot of violent disputes of the land.Note: Taken directly from the article, Chu writes, "More people die from land conflicts in Para than in any other state, and most cases go unresolved."

I love how he doesn't just report on how she died but also talks about what caused her death.I think the article was very fair to the victim because Chu explains the reason why she died and how it is related to how she lived her life. He talks to people that know her and he talks to people who explain the violence that has accumulated in the region.

I've read so many article about how some person murders someone but then the write fails to describe the reason behind the killings. Chu writes a story of a nun's death but also points out a serious social and land issue in Brazil. I wonder what kind of social issues could be brought out if someone wrote about an inner-city crime the way Chu wrote the story about Stang.

No comments: