Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Police Beat Final- Kirk Mayer

UW-Milwaukee student Kirk Mayer, 20, was stopped near Lot 35 during the early morning hours on Monday and was citied for operating while intoxicated (OWI).

Officer Morgan was doing a routine security check of Lot 35 when he saw a male stagger past him into the lot. The police report said he watched Mayer to see if he would drive safely and in order to "determine his intentions."

As Mayer began to drive through the lot, Morgan pulled behind the car and noticed that it displayed expired registration tags. Morgan stated in his police report that he than stopped the car and identified the male by his diver's license.

Mayer denied drinking to the officer but failed field sobriety tests. Mayer was put under arrest for OWI. This is his first offense.

In addition, Mayer was cited for operating with a prohibitive alcohol concentration over 0.08 percent. He was administered a Breathalyzer test and registered a blood alcohol level of 0.18 percent.

Morgan processed and booked Mayer into the Winnebago County Jail on a 12-hour hold.


Information Verification:
In order to ensure that the information on the incident report was correct I checked the Internet. First, I went to the UW-Milwaukee website and looked in the directory to see if Kirk Mayer did go to school there. I also checked the Wisconsin court system website and looked up Mayer's citation. All the information that officer Morgan had recorded was consistent with the information I received through the Internet.

Quote:
I did try to contact both Mayer and officer Morgan. I called Mayer's phone number that was in the UW-Milwaukee student directory. The number was (262) 628-2473. I think that this was his home phone number, but there was no answer when I called. I also tried to speak with Mayer via his student email at kpmayer@uwosh.edu but have yet to hear back from him. As a final attempt, I went with Lindsay to the University Police Station on Tuesday to talk with officer Morgan. Unfortunately he was not there at that time. I may still get word back from Mayer if he answers my email. At that time I will edit my final draft to include a quote.

No comments: