Wednesday, February 23, 2005

cop beat final

Robert Ireland

Cop Beat

02-23-05

Police officers stopped a car for failure to indicate a turn and defective break lights on Elmood Avenue, Saturday Feb. 13 at 2:39 a.m.

The driver of the vehicle failed field sobriety test and was booked into Winnebago County Jail for a 12-hour hold.

Aaron Ammerman, 21, was cited for operating while intoxicated and failure to indicate a turn.

“I was driving over to the girlfriends place after being out at the bars for the night, as I was driving past Fletcher I saw a UP squad car,” Ammerman said. “Generally hating the UP anyway I decided to get off campus and was subsequently pulled over for having defective break lights.”

After Ammerman was pulled over he became ‘argumentative’ and ‘insulative’ with the officer according to the police report.

“I think it was a bogus stop because my break lights had been fixed two months ago,” Ammerman said. “I checked them the day afterwards and they worked, I believe Trent Morgan had no reason to pull me over.”

Ammerman had been previously warned about defective break lights twice, once by a state trooper and once by the University Police.

No comments: