Monday, February 14, 2005

police beat

Imagine you’ve been offered the opportunity to move up from the obit desk to the police beat. Would you take the job? Explain your reasoning in terms of the text’s discussion of covering crimes, fires and accidents.

The position would require one to always think on his or her feet and have excellent knowledge on where to do research. Also, being on the police,crimes,fires and accidents beat one would have to be present at many tradgedies and report on them. I see writing about crime as fun becau a reporter gets to contact the police chief and get down the nitty gritty of the crime. I don’t think that writing about fire,accidents and tradgedies would be very fun.
I think many reporters can eventually get immune to those type of situations but dealing with recent tragic personal experiences, I do not think I could handle it. For my job I’ve been to the scenes of several accidents, have seen several dead bodies and have witness a countless number of people at the pinnacle of desperation. Everytime I see something like that I get really disturbed, so most likely I would not be able to handle being writing as a crime reporter at a city daily; at least not at this point in my life.
2. Assume you’re given no choice—you have to move to cops. What would be the hardest part of the transition? In other words, what would be the biggest challenges in covering the cops beat?

The biggest challenge in the cops beat would be the extreme responsibility of being accurate because this is a beat where reporting something wrong could possibly lead to some very angry people and even a lawsuit. Also, one would have to be very flexible in schedule because crimes,fires,and tradgedies happen at all times of the day.

No comments: