Sunday, February 20, 2005

Police Beat Draft

UW-Oshkosh student Matthew J. Feuerhelm, 19, was charged with underage drinking after a police officer discovered him being noisy in the hallway Wednesday morning.

"I don't understand why he stopped me," Feuerhelm said. "I was doing absolutely nothing wrong that night. I wasn't calling any attention to myself."

According to a police report, Police Officer Brian Murphy found Feuerhelm knocking loudly on a door in North Scott Hall. After asking for identification, Murphy noticed that Feuerhelm had "glassy, bloodshot eyes and slurred speech."

After telling the officer that he had been drinking that night, Feuerhelm allowed Murphy into his room. The police officer reported that "two open cans of beer were plainly visible." Feuerhelm's blood alcohol content was 0.127 percent. Murphy issued him a citation.

"Because of this ticket I now have outstanding fines totaling $700 and I might have to drop out of school," Feuerhelm said.

Murphy reported that this was Feuerhelm's first underage drinking offense.

Feuerhelm later denied a search of his room saying he had "personal things in there."

No comments: