Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Quote and Observations

I asked two people what they thought of Monday night's national championship game. First I went to Albee and asked a male playing basketball.

"I was really happy with the game," Mike Manders said. "Sean May and the rest of North Carolina played really well and I made a lot of money. Actually it was only $6. But on the record, that's the guy I made my money from." (As he pointed to someone walking into the gym.)

Then I went to Reeve to see if I could get another reaction. I walked up to a male listening to his iPod and asked him if he watched the game. He just said no. When I asked him why he didn't watch, he just starred at me and said, "Umm... I don't know." He seemed very annoyed, so I said thank you and left.

For the observation part of this assignment, I watched a girl playing basketball in Albee. Her name was Nikki Fencl. She was about 5’5” and thin. She had brown hair that reached the middle of her back and bangs that swooped across her forehead and into her eyes. Nikki had on a maroon tank top under a white, long-sleeved shirt with buttons. She had on a white belt that held up her blue jeans. She wore white Nike tennis shoes with white laces. Nikki had a watch and an elastic hair band on her left wrist. There was a tattoo on her lower back that was completely black in color. She had a ring on her left ring finger.
While Nikki was waiting to be passed the basketball, she stood with her left arm bent and near her waist while her right arm hung straight down. She shot the ball with her right hand over her right shoulder and her right foot in front of her left. Before every shot she would press her lips together. I did not see her make one basket. Nikki would dribble around the hoop slowly with alternating hands. One time she stood with her back to the basket and shot over her head. When she did not have the ball, she played with her hair, clapped her hairs and laughed. Nikki did not seem very energetic.

The gym was pretty empty. People were either shooting around or exercising. It was slightly warm and smelled like sweat.

No comments: